Tagged: Google

Facebook makes U-turn over decapitation video clip

By Leo KelionTechnology reporter

Facebook
A Facebook page that hosted a decapitation video now says it is unavailable

Facebook has removed a video clip showing a woman’s decapitation and issued new rules about what can be shared on its site.

The U-turn comes two days after it was revealed the firm had dropped a ban on clips showing extreme violence.

The BBC understands that Facebook did this in July after issuing new guidance to staff, but did not think the public would be interested to know.

The British prime minister has accused the firm of being “irresponsible”.

Facebook’s own safety advisers have also voiced concerns.

The US firm now says it will still allow some graphic content but will take a more comprehensive look at its context.

This time Facebook outlined its revised policy in a press release.

“First, when we review content that is reported to us, we will take a more holistic look at the context surrounding a violent image or video, and will remove content that celebrates violence,” it said.

A Facebook page that hosted a decapitation video now says it is unavailable

“Second, we will consider whether the person posting the content is sharing it responsibly, such as accompanying the video or image with a warning and sharing it with an age-appropriate audience.

“Based on these enhanced standards, we have re-examined recent reports of graphic content and have concluded that this content improperly and irresponsibly glorifies violence. For this reason, we have removed it.”

At time of writing other decapitation videos could still be found on the site without warning messages.

‘Community standard’

The announcement follows a series of flip-flops by the company.

On May 1, when questioned about death clips being shared on the site, the firm told the BBC that its users had the right to depict the “world in which we live”.

However, less than two hours after the BBC published an interview with one of the firm’s safety advisers – who raised concerns about the harm this could cause teenagers – it announced a change of tack.

“We will remove instances of these videos that are reported to us while we evaluate our policy and approach to this type of content,” it declared.

The company promised at the time to announce its decision when the review was completed.

But at the start of this week the BBC was contacted by one of the social network’s members who had complained about a clip uploaded on 16 October, which the company was refusing to take down.

“The video shows a woman having her head cut off by a man in a mask,” the user wrote.

Facebook warning
The video was still accessible on Facebook on Tuesday, but covered by a warning notice

“She is alive when this happens. Looking at the comments a load of people have reported this to Facebook and had the same reply.”

An Australian police force was among those who had complained. It said it had been told by Facebook’s moderators that the video “did not violate our community standard on graphic violence”.

When questioned on Monday, a spokeswoman for Facebook confirmed that the ban had indeed been dropped and that the company had introduced a new rule: such material could be posted and shared on the site so long as the original post did not celebrate or encourage the actions depicted.

This prompted David Cameron to tweet on Tuesday: “It’s irresponsible of Facebook to post beheading videos, especially without a warning. They must explain their actions to worried parents.”

Stephen Balkam, the chief executive of the Family Online Safety Institute (Fosi) charity – who sits on the network’s Safety Advisory Board – said he was “unhappy” at the move, which he had not been told about in advance.

Many of the site’s users also questioned why it allowed such extreme footage but banned images and videos showing a woman’s “fully exposed breast”.

Facebook subsequently added an alert to the video, replacing the banner image with the words: “Warning! This video contains extremely graphic content and may be upsetting.”

But last night it changed its policy again, and visitors to the page are now told: “This content is currently unavailable.”

In response Mr Cameron tweeted: “I’m pleased Facebook has changed its approach on beheading videos. The test is now to ensure their policy is robust in protecting children.”

Mr Balkam also welcomed the move.

“The Family Online Safety Institute is encouraged by the changes that Facebook announced today to the posting of graphic or disturbing material,” he said in a statement.

“In order to protect young people in particular, it is imperative that Facebook – and all other social media sites – have in place a review process for this type of material and provide warnings where appropriate.”

London-based Childnet International, another of Facebook’s safety advisers, said it still wanted more information.

David Cameron tweet
Prime Minister David Cameron has welcomed the fact that Facebook took the video off its site

“If they’ve taken it down I welcome that,” said the charity’s chief executive Will Gardner told the BBC.

“But I want to find out more and look into this further.”

Age limits

Google’s rival Google+ social network has more restrictive guidelines on graphic content: “Do not distribute depictions of graphic or gratuitous violence,” it states.

There are videos on its YouTube service in which people discuss beheadings and provide links to explicit footage, but the firm has removed videos showing the act of murder from its own site.

“While YouTube’s guidelines generally prohibit graphic or violent content, we make exceptions for material with documentary, or news value,” a spokesman added.

“In cases where a video is not suitable for all viewers, we’re careful to apply warnings and age-restrictions to safeguard people using our site.”

‘Dutch sandwich’ grows as Google shifts €8.8bn to Bermuda

The Financial Times

By Vanessa Houlder

October 10, 2013 7:09 pm

A woman uses Google's search engine on her tablet

Google funnelled €8.8bn of royalty payments to  Bermuda last year, a quarter more than in 2011, underlining the rapid expansion  of a strategy that has saved the US internet group billions of dollars in tax.

By routing royalty payments to Bermuda, Google reduces  its overseas tax rate to about 5 per cent, less than half the rate in already  low-tax Ireland, where it books most of its international sales.

 High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights.  http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/89acc832-31cc-11e3-a16d-00144feab7de.html#ixzz2hP4wWbw0

The figures were revealed in the latest filings by one of Google’s Dutch  subsidiaries, and means that royalty payments made to Bermuda – where the  company holds its non-US intellectual property – have doubled over the past  three years. This increase reflects the rapid growth of Google’s global  business.

The company has been at the centre of the international  controversy over corporate tax avoidance because it earns “substantially  all” its foreign income in Ireland and pays relatively little tax in the  countries where its customers are based.

It has also faced criticism for its use of a “double Irish” structure that  exploits differences between the US and Irish tax codes to move the profits from  Ireland to Bermuda. It also routes the profits through the Netherlands to avoid  withholding taxes, using a structure known as a “Dutch sandwich”. Google  declined to comment.

Revelations about Google’s tax planning have stoked widespread public anger, prompting politicians to launch an international crackdown on corporate profit shifting. The problems raised by digital companies is one of the central issues being addressed by the initiative launched by the G20 group of leading economies this summer.

In principle, multinationals such as Google that pay relatively little tax  overseas will face big bills in the US when they bring their earnings back to  the US. But Google has not provided for extra US tax because it intends to  permanently reinvest $33bn of offshore profits outside the US.

The new figures come from the accounts of Google Netherlands Holdings, which  represents the “Dutch sandwich” part of the tax structure. It received €8.6bn in  royalties from Google Ireland Ltd and €232.8m in royalties from Google’s  Singapore operation. All but €10.4m of this was paid out to Google Ireland  Holdings, a company that is incorporated in Ireland but controlled in Bermuda.

Differences between the Irish and US tax codes mean that this dual-resident  company is viewed as Irish for US tax purposes but Bermudan for Irish purposes.  It acquired much of Google’s intellectual property in 2003, which it licensed to  Google Ireland Ltd, a Dublin-based business that is at the heart of its global  operation. The business, which employed 2,199 people last year, paid €17m in  Irish corporation tax, having reported pre-tax profits of €153.9 on turnover of €15.5bn.

Google’s UK operation, which provides marketing services  to the Irish affiliate, paid £11.5m in corporate tax in 2012, nearly double the bill for 2011 but far  less than many MPs and other critics believe it should have paid. The UK is  Google’s second-biggest market, responsible for almost 10 per cent of its sales,  or almost $4.9bn last year.

In a stormy parliamentary hearing earlier this year,  Margaret Hodge, chair of the Public Accounts Committee denounced  Google as “evil” and accused it of “devious, calculating and unethical” behaviour by booking sales in Ireland. But Google said this was an unfair  representation of the way it operated in which sales activity took place in  Britain but only the Irish business had the right to close the transaction.

NSA masqueraded as Google to spy on web users – report

By RT News

Published time: September 13, 2013 09:37

 

google_si

The NSA used ‘man in the middle’ hack attacks to impersonate Google and fool web users, leaks have revealed. The technique circumvents encryption by redirecting users to a copycat site which relays all the data entered to NSA data banks.

Brazilian television network Globo News released a report based on classified data divulged by  former CIA worker Edward Snowden on Sunday. The report itself  blew the whistle on US government spying on Brazilian oil giant  Petrobras, but hidden in amongst the data was information the NSA  had impersonated Google to get its hands on user data.
Globo TV showed slides from a 2012 NSA presentation explaining  how the organization intercepts data and re-routes it to NSA  central. One of the convert techniques the NSA uses to do this is  a ‘man in the middle’ (MITM) hack attack.
This particular method of intercepting internet communications is  quite common among expert hackers as it avoids having to break  through encryption. Essentially, NSA operatives log into a router  used by an internet service provider and divert ‘target traffic’  to a copycat MITM site, whereupon all the data entered is relayed  to the NSA. The data released by Edward Snowden and reported on  by Globo News suggests the NSA carried out these attacks  disguised as Google.
When the news broke about the NSA gathering information through  internet browsers, tech giants such as Google and Yahoo denied  complicity, maintaining they only handover data if a formal  request is issued by the government.
“As for recent reports that the US government has found ways  to circumvent our security systems, we have no evidence of any  such thing ever occurring. We provide our user data to  governments only in accordance with the law,” said Google  spokesperson Jay Nancarrow to news site Mother Jones.
Google, along with Microsoft, Facebook and Yahoo, has filed a  lawsuit against the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court  (FISA) to allow them to make public all the data requests made by  the NSA.
“Given the important public policy issues at stake, we have  also asked the court to hold its hearing in open rather than  behind closed doors. It’s time for more transparency,”  Google’s director of law enforcement and information security,  Richard Salgado, and the director of public policy and government  affairs, Pablo Chavez, wrote in a blog post on Monday.
The tech giants implicated in NSA’s global spying program have  denied criticism that they could have done more to resist NSA  spying. Marissa Mayer, CEO of Yahoo, claimed that speaking out  about the NSA’s activities would have amounted to ‘treason’ at a  press conference in San Francisco on Wednesday.
In Yahoo’s defense, she argued that the company had been very  skeptical of the NSA’s requests to disclose user data and had  resisted whenever possible. Mayer concluded that it was more  realistic to work within the system,” rather than fight against  it.

Thai villagers hold Google Street View worker hostage after accusing him of being a government spy

By Becky Evans and Ap Reporter

PUBLISHED:17:02, 15 August  2013| UPDATED:08:30, 16  August 2013

Villagers in Thailand held a Google Street  View worker after suspecting he was a government spy.

About 20 residents in the remote Sa-eab  village in Phrae province blocked the marked Google car on Tuesday after  becoming convinced the worker was surveying for an unwanted dam project.

The Google worker, named as Deeprom  Phongphon, was only believed after  swearing in a Buddhist temple that he did not work for the government.

The Google Street View worker was surrounded by villagers as he drove through Sa-eab, in Phrae Provine. Above, the street car in action in the UKThe Google Street View worker was surrounded by  villagers as he drove through Sa-eab, in Phrae Provine. Above, the street car in  action in the UK

The car aroused suspicion as it toured the  streets of the rural village with its large camera attached to the roof.

The Manager newspaper reported that the  villagers took the vehicle’s driver to a local office to quiz him, then  to a  temple where they made him swear on a statue of Buddha that he was  not working  for the dam project.

 Residents said he would face bad luck within  a week if he lied in front of the statue.

‘The villagers were definitely not happy. The  car looked very strange  and had something on the top – there was also all kinds  of equipment  inside the car,’ Wichai Ruksapon, 64, told AFP.

Google’s regional communications manager Taj  Meadows said yesterday that the company was aware of the incident.

The Prachatai news website said the villagers  released the driver and later apologized to him and to Google.

Sa-eab village, 385 miles north of Bangkok,  is known for its long-running dam protests by villagers and environmental  groups.

‘(We) apologize to the official, to Google,  as well as to the Thai people throughout the nation and to the citizens of the  world,’ the villagers’ representatives wrote.

The Google worker was only let go when he swore in front of a statue of Buddha at a local temple The Google worker was only let go when he swore in front  of a statue of Buddha at a local temple

They explained that they were ‘extremely worried and there had been so many repeated cases that convinced the  villagers  to believe someone was trying to survey the area in disguise.’

Google Street View has run into problems in  some other countries where there are concerns it captures too much information  that should be private.

The project’s technology also scoops up Wi-Fi  radio signals, and Britain’s data regulator in June ordered the company to  delete personal data it gathered that way, or face a contempt of court action.

‘Embarking on new projects, we sometimes  encounter unexpected challenges, and Street View has been no exception,’  Google’s Meadows said in an email, adding that ‘Street View abides by Thailand’s  local laws, and only features imagery taken on public property.’

The internet giant project takes photographs  to accompany its Google Earth map program.

In 2011, the Tourism Authority of Thailand  partnered with Google Thailand to launch a tourism promotion initiative  involving images of streets and top attractions in the country’s major cities.

Thailand was the world’s 35th country to have  Street View imagery available.