Theresa May has become the latest Tory cabinet minister to criticise the publication of stories based on Edward Snowden’s NSA leaks, saying anything that “potentially gives help to terrorists” is something the government “needs to be concerned about and act on”.
The home secretary, speaking to the Society of Editors annual conference in London on Monday, warned newspaper editors that they have to “recognise their responsibilities” to national security alongside their “natural desire to have a story in their newspaper”.
However, May admitted that deciding whether the publication of leaked material was in the public interest was “not an easy area” and noted that the Guardian had gone through “various processes” available before running stories based on the Snowden leaks.
“It is the case that anything that reveals security issues, which by definition are kept secret for a purpose and potentially gives help to terrorists, is something the government needs to be concerned about and act on,” said May.
Asked about newspaper reports based on leaks by whistleblowers, such as the revelations in the Guardian and elsewhere by former NSA analyst Snowden, May said newspaper editors “did not always know the impact of the material in national security terms” of the information they had been given.
“We have a security service and intelligence agencies that have to operate on a secret basis,” she said. “We need to make sure terrorists don’t get information that will help them in their tasks.”
Asked who should make the decision whether the publication of leaked material was either in the public interest or endangered national security, May admitted: “This is not an easy area. There are processes available and there were various processes that were went through in relation to the Guardian material. There is of course the D notice that is available.
“There is an onus on every editor looking at material of that sort to recognise their responsibilities as well as the natural desire to have a story in their newspaper.”
May’s comments followed fresh criticism over the weekend from government government ministers over the Guardian’s handling of the Snowden leaks, with foreign secretary William Hague and Philip Hammond, the defence secretary, saying its revelations had endangered national security.
But the two ministers sidestepped questions whether they would like to see a prosecution, after former defence secretary Liam Fox wrote to the Crown Prosecution Service asking whether there is a case for legal action against the paper








Apology: Tory MP Nadhim Zahawi, 46, has apologised for claiming almost £6,000 in electricity bills to run a business from his second home

